Yesterday, I found myself with very few ingredients to cook anything from my recipe list....so, I improvised. Gotta tell you, it works sometimes!
All I had were hot dog sausages - but you can use any type of hot dog OR sausage; and Gluten-free spiral pasta. I looked up a couple of recipes online and ended up making up my own. Here's what I did:
- a splash of olive oil
- one teaspoon of garlic powder- but chopped garlic might be a better bet
- half red pepper, finely chopped
- half an onion, finely chopped
- Two tomatoes finely chopped
- 4 hot dogs chopped in small pieces
- 7oz of heavy cream
- 16oz of water
- 1/2 lb of penne, spirals, or whatever pasta you prefer
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese- to taste, meaning lots... there's no such thing as too much cheese.
HOW TO PREPARE:
In a large skillet splash enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Add the onions, garlic, and peppers and saute/mix well until tender.
Add the hot dogs and mix well. Cook for a few minutes and add the salt and pepper to taste.
Add the heavy cream and mix well.
Add the raw pasta and water. Mix
Cook covered for approximately 15 minutes. Don't forget to stir occasionally! Especially towards the end.. as the cream thickens, the pasta tends to stick to the bottom.
Turn off heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Mix in well.
Enjoy with some garlic bread or a salad!
Kids will love this, I promise!
Till next week Foodie Friends!