I totally ventured outside of my culinary comfort zone this week with these chicken wontons. They were a little more labor intensive than I usually prefer, not detrimentally so but y'all know me, I love a super quick/easy meal. What is cool about these guys is that you can stuff them with pretty much whatever you have on hand. No chicken? No worries, substitute shrimp, or even beef! My inspiration came from this pinterest find!
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 green onions
- shiitake mushrooms (I used 5 oz container)
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP ginger
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- olive oil for frying
- won tons wrappers (just FYI I found these in the refrigerated portion of the veggie section- I walked aimlessly for 20 minutes trying to find them so I thought I'd save you the hassle)
- Cook chicken thoroughly and chop into small pieces. I put mine in the food processor to get it nice and finely cut.
- Mix together cooked chicken, sliced (thinly) onions, mushrooms, ginger, white pepper, sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce, mushrooms, rice vinegar and mix together well.
- Place about a tablespoon of the mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper and fold to side (making a triangle), and seal sides with a small amount of water.
- Heat olive oil on stove in saucepan and add wontons once hot. Mine cooked quickly- just a minute on each side. I like them with a little crunch!
Dip in a little soy sauce and you are in wonton heaven! These would make some yummy appetizers to serve with you have guests or for a movie night in at home!