Meatloaf is the kind of food that comfort us, but when I told my husband for the first time that I was going to cook meatloaf, he cringed. He stated that you either make it great or you make it wrong. There's no in between. I wasn't sure what he meant, but after a couple of, what I call rookie mistakes, I perfected the meatloaf recipe that makes him smile. Here's my very easy, secret recipe:
- One pound of LEAN (90/10) ground beef
- One pound of ground turkey or sausage meat
- one egg
- one onion finely chopped
- one carrot finely chopped
- one red or green pepper finely chopped
- one teaspoon of garlic
- one cup of garlic-flavored bread crumbs
- one tablespoon of chili powder
- one tablespoon of dry oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE SAUCE
- half a cup of tomato ketchup
- one tablespoon of honey
- one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- one teaspoon of cumin
Preheat the oven at 350*. Mix the meat, onions, pepper, carrots, egg, bread crumbs, and salt/pepper in a large mixing bowl. bake in a meatloaf pan for 45 minutes.
Prepare the sauce by mixing the ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin. After baking the meat for 10 minutes, brush the sauce mix on the top and sides of the meat, creating a thick coat. Continue baking for the remaining time.
Serve with mash potatoes and a side of vegetable of choice. I guarantee everyone will have seconds.
**** GET OTHER GREAT RECIPES HERE!!!!!!
What's your favorite side??? leave a comment below!